This is my submission for the event-Food In Colors – Green at Tongue Ticklers.
Ridge gourd or beerakaya-1
Tamarind-small berry sized
Turmeric powder-a pinch
For Seasoning: Red dry chilli pieces-4, curry leaves-a few and urad dal or black gram-1 teaspoon.
1. Peel off the ridge gourd and cut it into small pieces. There is no need to peel it finely. Leave a little bit of skin as it helps to thicken the chutney and gives it a nice colour.
2. Heat the oil in a vessel and add the slitted green chillies, cumin seeds, tamarind, garlic and turmeric powder.
3. Fry them on a medium flame until they turn light brown in colour and transfer them into a bowl. Now add the ridge gourd pieces to the oil and cook them until the oil separates.
4. Transfer them into the mixer jar and add the fried ingredients and salt. Grind them into a paste.
5. Heat the oil and add the dry chillies, curry leaves and urad dal and fry for a few seconds. Add it to the ground chutney and serve it with hot rice or dosa.