Ponni rice- 2 cups
Tamarind pulp-4 tablespoons
Curry leaves-a few
Gram dal- 1 teaspoon
Urad dal-1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds-1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds-1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder- 1 teaspoon
Ground nuts or peanuts-2 tablespoons
Grated jaggery-1 teaspoon (optional)
Asafotida- a pinch
1. Cook two cups of ponni rice (not too soft) with 5 cups of water. Allow it to cool and add ½ a teaspoon of turmeric powder, one teaspoon of salt, fresh curry leaves and one tablespoon of oil.
2. Heat two tablespoons of oil in a vessel and add the dry chillies, urad dal, gram dal, ground nuts or peanuts, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, a pinch of hing or asafotida, slitted green chillies, a few curry leaves, ½ teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon salt and fry until a nice aroma spreads.
3. Add tamarind pulp, grated jaggery and boil it on a low flame until the oil separates from the sides.
4. Now add this to the rice and mix well.
5. Keep it covered for ten minutes till all the spices have been absorbed by the rice and serve.