This is my submission for ‘The Vegetable of the week’ hosted by Pooja of http://creativepooja.blogspot.com/2008/02/vegetable-of-week-with-some-revised.html#rules
Curry leaves-a few
Red chilli powder-1 tablespoon
Turmeric powder-a pinch
1. Wash and cut the bitter gourds into thin rings and put them in salt water for ten minutes.
2. Grind the garlic cloves, curry leaves, salt and chilli powder into a course paste.
3. Heat the oil in a pan and fry the bitter gourd pieces on a medium flame until they turn brown in colour.
4. Add the grinded paste and turmeric powder and fry it for 1-2 minutes on a low flame.
5. Turn off the stove and serve it with hot rice with rasam or sambar. Kakarakaya karam keeps for one week, if we store it in a dry air tight container.