Modak or Kozhukattai or Modakam
This is my entry for Festival Event - Ganesh Chaturthi hosted by Latha Narasimahan of The 'yum' blog.
Rice flour-2 cups
Channa or gram dal-1 cup soaked about half an hour
Grated jaggery-1/2 cup
Cardamom powder-1 teaspoon
1. Boil two cups of water in a big vessel along with salt and ghee.
2. After boiling the water, remove the vessel from the stove and add the rice flour and mix it into soft dough. Make sure that there are no lumps.
3. Boil the soaked gram dal for five minutes and allow it to cool.
4. Grind the soaked dal, cardamom powder and jaggery into smooth paste. Make small balls and keep them aside.
5. Take the rice flour dough and pat it into a bowl–like shape. Fill it with dal and jaggery filling and close the top.
6. Steam the kozhukattai in a idli cooker for eight minutes and let them cool.
7. Take out the kozhukattai and serve it on a plate. Delicious kozhukattai are now ready….
Note: You can make the filling with roasted peanuts, sesame seeds or coconut.