Pesara Pappu Garelu
Splitted green moong dal or pottu pesara pappu-2 cups
Cumin seeds or jeera-1 teaspoon
One small chopped onion
Oil for deep fry
1. Soak the moong dal over night or at least for three hours.
2. Wash the dal and remove the skin.
3. Keep some soaked dal aside in a small bowl and grind the remaining dal into paste by adding green chilli, ginger, salt, cumin, cloves and cinnamon.
4. While grinding use a little water and make sure that the batter is not loose.
5. Add chopped onions, curry leaves and soaked dal to the batter.
6. Heat oil in a kadai or frying pan on the stove.
7. Spread a wet napkin on the platform and take lemon sized batter and pat it on the napkin into circular shapes.
8. Fry them in the oil at medium flame until they turn brown.
9. Garelu will be very crispy when they are hot. So, serve them hot with chutney, sauce or as they are.
10. As I made garelu on Ganesh Chaturthi, I didn’t add ginger, onion, cloves and cinnamon.
Note: If you are a non-vegetarian, try them with chicken or mutton curry. They taste very nice. Since I have turned to vegetarian, I had them as they were.