Thursday, March 12, 2009

Kajjikayalu


This is my submission for the event-"Let's go nuts-March with Yummy - Almonds" hosted by JZ of http://dessertpro.blogspot.com/2009/03/lets-go-nuts-with-almonds.html

What you need:

For making dough:
Maida or plain flour-2 cups
Sugar-1 teaspoon
Salt-a pinch
Sooji-1 tablespoon
Ghee-2 tablespoons

Mix above ingredients in a big bowl and make it into a stiff dough and leave it for half an hour.

For filling:
Almonds-1/2 cup
Cashew nuts-1/2 cup
Sugar-3/4 cup
Cardamom powder-1 teaspoon

Transfer all the ingredients into a mixer jar and make into a powder.

Oil for deep fry



How to make:

Divide the dough into lemon sized balls and roll them into thin poories (circlular shapes). Take the kajjikayalu mould and apply some oil in it and put a poori inside it. Fill one side of the poori with one tablespoon of the filling and close the poori. Join the two edges inside with wet fingers. Now close the mould and press it. Open the mould and take out the kajjikaya carefully. Do the same with the rest of the poories and heat the oil in a frying pan. Deep fry them in batches on a low flame until they turn golden brown in colour. Allow them to cool and store them in an air tight container. They will keep for 4-5 days…

15 comments:

FH said...

So gorgeous! Looks good Vijaya.

I love the wood mould, I have a plastic one. You can send that photo with wood to Bee for her Click-Wood but you have to make the photo 550pxls. Try and send it!:)

Uma said...

Kajjikayalu noru vuristhunnayi! Looks great.

Gayathri said...

wow i remembered my mom, she prepares it for diwali.

Anonymous said...

The mould is amazing, Vijaya...the kajjikayalu looks delicious..I havent heard of this, until one day I tried one from Sailu's blog...


Yours sound easy and delicious as well.. Thanks for sending it to my event. :-)

Pooja said...

Kajjikayalu chala bagunnayi..with almonds nice idea.....

Preety said...

wow i love this one..we call this gujiya..

Deepthi Shankar said...

we call this kadubu in kannada & I absolotely adore this

Bhawna said...

Hi Vijaya, This is gujiya for us. Just the different stuffing. Is'nt it tasty!! Ur mould is quite different. I like it.

Saritha said...

yummy kajjikayalu, almond sure will enhance the taste,nice idea

Raks said...

I just love it,my filling will be little different ...Looks nice!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Vijaya for trying out my recipe, good to know you loved it!
Loved this snack, my childhood fav, I really loved that brinjal dish too.It looks so attractive! :)

lubnakarim06 said...

Wow superb entry to the event. Just now i saw the microwave version of these goodies...Your look yummy too.....

Daily Meals said...

Thank you all friends for your nice words...

Usha said...

This looks fantastic, wish I could have one :-)

Sia said...

that's really pretty kajjikayalu. i wanted to get those moulds from india but forgot to get one last time i visited.