Mullangi or white radish-1
Toor dal or kandi pappu-1 cup
Dry chilli powder-1 teaspoon
Termeric powder-1 teaspoon
Tamarind pulp-3 tablespoons
Ginger-a small piece
For sambar powder: Dry roast and grind 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds, 1 teaspoon of coriander seeds, 4-5 fenegreek seeds, 10 blck pepper seeds and a pinch of hing into a powder.
For seasoning: Oil-2 tablespoons, dry chilli pieces-2, mustard seeds-1 teaspoon, cumin seeds-1 teaspoon and curry leaves-a few.
1. Wash and peel off the radish and cut it into thin circles.
2. Rinse the toor dal and cook it with sufficient water until it becomes soft.
3. Cut the green chillies, ginger and garlic into small pieces.
4. Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed vessel and add the dry chilli pieces, mustard seeds, cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds.
5. Once they splutter, add the curry leaves, chopped green chillies, ginger and garlic pieces and radish pieces.
6. Fry them for two to three minutes and add turmeric powder, chilli powder, salt sugar, cooked dal, tamarind pulp and 5-6 cups of water.
7. Cook it for 8 minutes on a medium flame and add the sambar powder.
8. Cook it for 3-4 minutes and turn off the stove. Serve it with hot rice and a dry curry of your own choice…