Pappu biyyam is one of our favourite rice. My mother makes this with rice and bengal gram dal, whereas my mother-in-law makes this with rice and green gram dal (splitted moong dal). Both go well with tomato pickle or raw tomato chutney.
Ponni rice-2 cups
Ginger garlic paste-1 teaspoon
- Mix the rice and dal. Wash them properly and soak them in the water.
- Heat the oil and ghee in a pan and add the cinnamon stick, cloves and cardamom and fry them for one minute on a medium flame.
- Add the chopped onions, green chillies and ginger garlic paste and fry them for three more minutes.
- Add five cups of water and boil. When the water is boiling, add salt, soaked rice and dal.
- Cook them for five minutes on a medium flame and lower the flame until the rice is done. Serve hot with tomato pickle or tomato chutney.
Note: If you are using pressure cooker or electrical rice cooker, add only 4 and ½ cups of water.