urad dal-2 cups
Idly rava-4 cups
Cumin seeds-1 teaspoon
Rice flour-2 tablespoons
Maida or plain flour-2 tablespoons
Baking soda-a pinch
Oil for deep fry
- Soak the urad dal for 4-5 hours and wash it. Grind it into a smooth batter.
- Meanwhile, soak the ravva in water for fifteen minutes. Drain the water carefully and wash it with water again. Keep it aside to let the rava settle at the bottom.
- Repeat it twice or thrice to clean the rava properly.
- Squeeze the ravva and add it to the urad dal batter. Mix it well and allow it to ferment overnight.
- Separate the batter into two parts. Store the first part in the fridge.
- To the second part, add mixed vegetables and salt and prepare idly. Serve them with peanut powder and ghee.
- In the evening, I took the batter from the fridge an hour beforehand to prepare the punugulu.
- For this, add rice flour, maida, cumin seeds, baking soda and salt to the batter and mix it well.
- Heat oil in a wok and make the batter into small ball s with your hand before dropping them gently in the oil. Fry them untill they turn golden brown.
- Serve them with peanut chutney or any sauce.
Rava idly with mixed vegetables…