Chekkalu or Karapu billalu
Rice flour – 4 cups
Soaked Chenna dal – 1 cup
Green chilli, ginger and jeera (cumin seeds) paste – 1 spoon
Hot oil or ghee – 2 spoons
Curry leaves – chopped
Oil – for deep fry
Salt – to taste
1. Mix all the above ingredients in a big bowl and make it into dough.
2. Now make lemon sized balls with the dough.
3. Take a greased plastic cover and flatten the balls into circles.
4. Heat oil in the pan and deep fry the chekkalu into golden brown colour.
5. Let them cool and store them in an air tight container. They will remain fresh for more than one week. These snacks don’t absorb much oil.
Note: Instead of green chilli paste you can use red dry chilli powder.