Minapa pappu or urad dal-2 cups
Cumin seeds or jeera-1 teaspoon
Ginger-small piece (optional)
Oil for deep fry
Fenugreek leaves (fresh or dry)-few
Chopped green chilli-1
Chopped coriander leaves-few
Turmeric powder-a pinch (optional)
Salt to taste
Mustard seeds-1/4 teaspoon
1. Soak the urad dal over night or at least for three hours.
2. Wash the dal and grind it into paste along with the green chillies, curry leaves, cumin seeds and a little salt.
3. Do not use too much water otherwise the batter will become loose and absorb more oil.
4. Heat oil for deep fry in a kadai or wok on medium flame.
5. Apply some oil on a plastic sheet and take a lemon sized batter and pat it on the sheet into a circle.
6. Make a hole in the center and deep fry the vadas until they turn brown.
7. Dip the vadas in water and immediately put them into the yogurt.
8. Heat one spoon of oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds,chopped green chilli and dry fenugreek leaves.
9. Let them splutter and add a pinch of salt and turmeric powder. Now add this to the yogurt with vadas and mix them well.
10. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and let them soak for one hour either in the fridge or outside. Delicious perugu vadalu are ready...